EMU Black v2.169 RC1 no connection with USB Driver for Windows 11 ARM

Hi,

I switched from an Intel Apple MacBook to an ARM Apple MacBook running Parallels Desktop virtualization software with Windows 11. This worked fine on the Intel MacBook with client version 2.168. Now I have problems on the ARM MacBook connecting to the EMU Black with client version 2.169 RC1.

I manually installed the FTDI D2XX driver v2.12.36.4A – as per instructions for this scenario – which should work on Windows 11 ARM running on an ARM Mac with Parallels Desktop.

After installation the Windows Device Manager shows an USB Controller | USB Serial Converter and a Ports (COM & LPT) | USB Serial Port (COM3), which should be ok.

Windows Settings shows Bluetooth and Devices | Other devices | ECUMASTER EMU BLACK.

The EMU Black Client does not connect to the EMU Black though.

Screenshot of the scenario:

We know about the issue. Currently, there is no workaround.
We will try to investigate the issue, but it is not a high priority right now.
There might be some issues related to the different CPU architecture that we cannot work around, and there is a possibility we won’t be able to make it work at all.

:sob:

I posted the issue in the Parallels Desktop forum. Will report back if there is insight.

FTDI blames Parallels for the issue. I opened a ticket with Parallels support.

Parallels came back with some suggestions:

• Installing the driver with Disable driver signature enforcement
  • Running the software client with emulation settings to Strict Execution

Both suggestions did not work.

It looks like the EMU Black connects to Windows but the software client can’t see the hardware.

The issue moves one level up to the second line in the Parallels Technical Support Team.

1 Like

Thanks for the information

Sorry to bother you but I have some questions regarding compatibility:

Does your software run on native Windows 11 on ARM computers?
Does it run on an Apple M1 computers within a Parallels virtual machine running Windows 11 on ARM (FTDI claims the USB-driver works in this scenario)?

I unterstand drivers have to be native to ARM, applications can be emulated by Windows 11 on ARM if they are written for Intel machines.

Thanks, Christian

Sorry, I don’t have answers to your questions because we didn’t test anything related to ARM.

We are currently super busy, and this is not a high-priority issue, so it just has to wait.