Using Paralells on an M1 Mac for connection

Hello,

I’ve downloaded the FTDI driver from the website for a Windows ARM version 2.xx, and the driver was accepted when I plugged the USB in. However, I cannot make a connection with the ECU. Do you have any tips on what I can do to make this work?

I don’t see why it won’t work other than ARM, but the driver was accepted. Do you have any tips on how to proceed?

I raised this long time ago but it seems this is not a priority.

It has to be something super simple. Just as they call on the driver, the stuff is installed correctly.

Guys M1 is not an x86 platform, therefore the client software would need to be written from scratch. Parallels won’t help here (I have both x86 MBP with Parallels and Ecumaster Client SW running there in the VM and the MBP M1, where I can use ZERO x86 software).

Your lost.

W11 has translation software to make x86 work on arm. Just like Rosetta on Mac x86 software.

I in fact installed and ran the software, and even downloaded the FTTI driver arm version which detects and installs correctly when you put the cable in for that chip.

I’m going to try utm which emulates x86 (slower) but should work as it will be x86.

This is not entirely true.
You can run x86 applications with an additional emulation layer on Apple ARM machines. The emulation layer is not 100% compatible, so not everything will work, but it is possible.

The problem probably lies with the x86 emulation, which makes some parts of the EMU client application not work correctly, or some changes in the driver broke compatibility with the application.

Maybe we can look at it while working on the V3 software. We haven’t checked it until now because nobody here uses Apple machines, so we simply don’t have a test platform to reproduce the problem. We will try to get some ARM laptops and check if there is something that can be easily fixed.

However, it is possible that we will not be able to fix it while using the x86 emulation. Maybe the ARM driver can’t talk to x86-emulated apps. In that case, the Ecumaster apps will not work on Apple ARM machines anytime soon.

1 Like

Forgive for cutting corners. Emulation obviously „usually” works. But it makes no sense to focus on doing some fixes of the SW just to make it work in emulated environment where you need additional SW (like parallels) that costs more than x86 laptop :slight_smile:
Having said that I’d love to see the Ecumaster SW running on Apple Silicon natively ( but this means both the OS is Unix and the CPU is ARM’ish ).

Edit: Still using XP here and there, not a fan of M$ honestly - didn’t know about the W11 emulation.

Hi team, just pick up a used m1 :slight_smile:

Being a pc user all my life I can say ARM is the future.

Yeah, we will either get or lend one.

I am not so sure if ARM will be the future.
I don’t see Intel or AMD giving money to ARM to make CPUs.
It’s more likely they will use RISC-V for a new architecture.
Anyway, the future of PC CPUs is very interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

Just think who owns IP for CPU chips/architectures/factories.
Which countries can make CPU chips on their own.
x86 is a dead end (but still postponing it’s death) due to architecture limitations.
ARM/RISC is much more modern in that context, but there are buts as well.

If you need users on M1 platform (natively) count on me :slight_smile:

I see intel and amd going the way of the dodo if they don’t do something. They are like ford and GM when Tesla is eating their lunch for cars.

Nvidia, Qualcomm will snap up their share once Microsoft realizes that they can’t compete with apple without arm processors. The fact the m3 is beating up all but the very best intels and the IGP is destroying anything from both intel and amd is a testament to what 15 years of neglect has done.

AMD promised some actual good IGP and never delivered anything that could do 1080p on a laptop.